Monday, October 31, 2011

NaNoWriMo

Are any of you guys doing NaNoWriMo?  In case you don’t know what it is NaNoWriMo stands for National Novel Writing Month.  Although to be honest 50,000 words isn’t a very long book.  I have over 58k for The Book Without A Name About Faeries And Boyfriends and it’s barely halfway done. 

I know it seems like a lot, writing 50,000 words in one month.  But it’s not.  It’s 1,667 words a day.  That’s next to nothing.  Think about the papers you write in two hours for class that afternoon, I guarantee most of them are longer than this, some are much longer.  You don’t edit while you’re writing this, you just write.  You write, and write, and write.  And at the end, when you’re done you have a novel or most of a novel. 

 

I’m getting set up for Nano right now, stocking up on chips and cookies, buying stock in the companies that make the chips and cookies I need to survive the month of November.  Planning a kickoff event with my fellow AU Nanoers.  Working on my outline, trying to get past the super boring part of my book so I can get to the super awesome part that I’ll be writing this coming month.  Positive outcomes only, friends. 

 

Interestingly, some of my most writer-y friends don’t do Nano.  Very interesting, because it doesn’t really create nearly as much work as you’d think.  Fifty thousand words in thirty days?  Piece of cake. 

One of the great things about Nano is that once you’ve done it, once you’ve written 50,000 words in 30 days, you know you can write a novel.  Smaller writing projects seem trivial.  You may come out of it with a completed first draft, with half a first draft, or even just with a well-developed idea.  You have stretched and grown your brain and writing muscles so much during this one little month.  Writing is never easy, it takes a lot of hard work, but it gets easier with practice, we all know that.  What better practice than writing 50,000 words in thirty days? 

 

Of course, I’m cheating.  You’re supposed to start fresh, which is what I did last year, but this year I’ve been getting pretty serious with The Book About Faeries And Boyfriends.  I’m bringing my half-finished book to NaNo and the two of us are gonna have passionate, sweaty, late night fumblings.  Because late nights are really the only time I can write very much, except maybe early mornings, and of course passionate and sweaty are the best ways to write books.  And by that point in the night I’ll barely be able to see straight, so fumbling is about the best way to describe my typing skills after midnight. 

 

Any American U students doing NaNo should come to the Mudbox tonight at 11:30 for a kickoff where there will be brownies (from scratch, I’ baking) and possibly other baked goods from other NaNo fellows.  Anywhere else, check your regional forum at nanowrimo.org for anything that might be near you. 

 

Good luck everyone!  Visors down!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!