Friday, January 11, 2013

Blog Direction in 2013

As much as I love writing about writing (and thus procrastinating the actual writing....) I feel like part of the reason that I tend so much to leave this blog for months is that I've limited the content I can write to only writing.  But here's the thing: my life isn't just writing.  As much as I wish I could spend days in a writing cave with only cornflakes and Fuze for sustenance and no outside distractions, I have other responsibilities.  I'm a college student, and a fraternity brother, and a tutor and a treasurer and I have to balance all of that.  So in 2013 I want to start writing not only about writing, but about life and college and (just a little) my fraternity.  I want to share my other passions like vikings and King Alfred and graphic design and quotes.  I especially want to write about balance.  Being a college student is all about balance, for everyone, but especially so for someone who self-identifies as an overachiever and a perfectionist who's trying to also be a writer.  Just writing about writing isn't being authentic and it's not being me.  I'll still focus on writing, but I'll also write about those nights where I stay up until 2 a.m. writing a paper not a book, or the ways I deal with the stress of balancing working, studying, writing, and brothering.  I'll write as much about organizing your desk as why you should write at one.

In 2012 I became a brother of Phi Sigma Pi National Honor Fraternity.  I became a Little.  I wrote multiple short stories for classes, mastered statistics, learned more than most people ever need to know about
 the Black Death and Buddhism and the Arab-Israeli war of 1967.  I also came out of my shell and took over as treasurer for the Student Historical Society as treasurer.  I decided to temporarily trunk Serendipity and focus on Sister Psychic, the project I currently feel more at home in.  I allowed myself to be open to new possibilities, and the universe provided those new possibilities.  I became more of an extrovert, despite still being highly introverted.  I became a better friend, a better brother, a better person.

Here's to a 2013 that can improve on that.


Stay Tuned.
xoxo, J

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!