Saturday, April 20, 2013


I don’t really know what to say about Boston yet.  But if I don’t write anything, that won’t feel like me.  So this post will be a stream of consciousness, all of my thoughts about this horrible tragedy.  If you don’t want to read any more about it, skip this post.  


I’ve wanted to say something about Boston since it happened, but so much more has been going on and the stories have been evolving so much, that I just couldn’t get a handle on any of it.  Now that the bombers have been killed/captured I feel like it’s an okay time to talk.
 
Ever since I came in and heard from my roommate what had happened, I’ve been obsessively checking twitter and crying.  I cry selflessly for those who’ve been hurt, scared, disconnected from those they love; I cry selfishly because I remember what that’s like.  I grew up in New York, and I was in fourth grade during the World Trade Center.  I remember that fear, that lack of understanding, not knowing whether the people you love are alright.  When I first heard about what had happened in Boston it brought me straight back to standing in my elementary school auditorium and seeing the secretaries and aids with a small portable tv watching news coverage.  The only image I remember from the tv is the towers burning before they realized we were there and shut it off.  Now, in a world with social media and internet news sites, you can’t shut it off.  



All I can really say is that we do not need more violence in this world.  We do not need more war.  There is a quote by Albert Einstein that I thought of early in this tragedy.  In a letter to Harry Truman he wrote “I know not with which weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”  In this time of tragedy, we can only believe in the power of human compassion and love.  I believe that human compassion will always way out human-borne evil.  I have to.  



Stay Tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!