Friday, May 31, 2013

25 Before 25




As my twenty-first birthday looms close, bringing with it clouds of graduation and lightning strikes of possible unemployment, I’ve been thinking about the future a lot lately.  This of course is terrifying, but also kind of exhilarating, a little like turning off the power to my riding mower while it’s going downhill.  (Why yes, I am a country girl at heart, why do you ask?)  A few years ago I ran across the idea of doing 20 things before you hit 20, or 19 before 19.  I tried that, but I had a hard time setting things that were achievable.  So instead I’ve created a list of 25 things to do over the next four years before I turn 25.  That way it’s a smaller number per year, and some of them are very simple.  This list is part to-do list, part goals list, and part bucket list.  I know that sounds a little morbid, but it’s not really.  I’m not planning on dying any time soon.  In fact, that’s the last thing I intend to do.  

I started this list with something I think I’ll have done by eighteen months from now, knock wood.  Moving to a new place by myself.  This, hopefully, will happen relatively quickly after graduation.  There are also things like “Get a driver’s license” which are definitely more life to-do than goals, but will (hopefully) be easily accomplished.  Then there are the bigger things, like “Publish a book” which is a lofty goal.  

(click through for a high-res version perfectly sized for ipods/iphones)

I haven’t finished the list yet.  Currently it’s only 23 items long, but I have four and change years for it, so that’s okay.  

1. Move to a new place by myself.
2. Get a tattoo.
3. Run a 5k.
4. Birthday & holiday cards.
5. Visit a city by myself.
6. Visit Europe.
7. Publish a book.
8. Buy a subscription to Evernote prime.
9. Buy a subscription to Spotify premium.
10. Get my blog off the ground.
11. Adopt an animal.
12. Become an active alumna of Phi Sigma Pi.
13. Attend a Phi Sigma Pi conference.
14. Surprise someone with something special each month.
15. Try out a notebook planner.
16. Buy a pair of quality nude pumps.
17. Get my master’s degree.
18. Visit Canada.
19. Learn a language well.
20. Buy stock.
21. Learn how to code well enough to make my own website.
22. Get a driver’s license.
23. Go vegan for a week.
24. ?
25. ?

Have you ever run across this idea before?  (If you have, please share the link! I still need two more.)  Would you consider making a similar list?  Have you made a list of tasks to accomplish before a birthday?  Have suggestions for my last two? Please share. Tell me more, tell me more!



Stay Tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!